Alternate uses for your newspaper
As couponers we get the paper- and most of us get MULTIPLE papers each week. (You can ready Why I Get Multiple Newspapers Here) We use up those valuable coupons, but what should we do with ALL THAT PAPER?? Here are 13 great ways to use your extra newspaper. Feel free to comment with more ideas:
1. Deodorize food containers. Stuff a balled-up piece of newspaper into a lunchbox or thermos, seal it, and let it sit overnight.
2. Ripen tomatoes. Wrap them individually and leave them out at room temperature.
3. Pack delicate items. Wrap frames and figurines with several pieces of newspaper, and then crumple the remaining sections to fill extra space in the box.
4. Wipe away tough streaks on glass. Use newspaper with cleaning fluid to clean mirrors and windows.
5. Preserve antique glass. Some older frames have finishes on the glass that can be damaged by cleaning solutions. Remove smudges by rubbing with newspaper dipped in a solution of one part white vinegar and one part warm water. Let air-dry.
6. Dry shoes. Place crumpled paper in them overnight.
7. Wrap gifts. Use the comics to wrap a child’s birthday gift, or try the wedding announcements for an engagement gift.
8. Cover plants during a frost.
9. Prepare a garden. In the fall, mow a patch of lawn to make room for a dedicated bed. Cover it with four layers of newspaper, then a four-inch layer of shredded leaves or bark mulch. Hose it down. Come spring, the compost blanket will have smothered the grass roots, and the bed will be primed for planting.
10. Keep the refrigerator vegetable drawer dry and free of smells. Line the bottom with the newspaper.
11. Protect table when children are painting or gluing
12. Use as a knee pad when gardening or scrubbing floors
13. Donate excess papers to your local SPCA or Humane Society.
Of course you can also recycle your papers. Did you know many schools, churches, and other organizations can make money from your paper? Yep! Many use the money they earn for youth programs, mission trips, school supplies, and more!
If you’re new to couponing or just new to the Couponers United site, here are some TOP Couponing How To Posts to get you started on your couponing journey:
How to recognize a Target vs Manufacturer Coupon before printing it