Disclosure: I was provided with park tickets, accommodations, and flight to help facilitate my review. As always, my opinions are 100% my own.
My first trip to Disneyland was a huge success. I could not have gone at a better time as they are celebrating the Summer of Heroes at the Disney California Adventure Park. I’m a huge Marvel fan, so this was like icing on the cake for me. An amazing trip to both parks and super heroes everywhere!
The highlight of it all is definitely the all new Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! Let me start by saying, this ride is not for the faint of heart. But if you’re a thrill seeker, you are going to absolutely LOVE it! It truly was an amazing ride. For me, once and done. I get motion sickness. If it wasn’t for my motion sickness, I would be on it again and again.
photo credit: Disney
The ride begins with a walk through The Collector’s Fortress. The building is amazing and at night it lights up beautifully. Once you’re inside, you get to view displays and creatures that the Collector has displayed for all to see.
You will also get to view a video explaining the ride and how the Guardians of the Galaxy have been trapped on top of his fortress in glass cages that are wired with power from a huge generator.
Be sure to look around at all of the fun displays and characters. To be quite honest, I was so nervous about the ride that I didn’t pay as much attention as I should have. I have to relive through some of my friends photos! Ha! I do remember, before leaving the lobby and entering into the Collector’s Office, we had to hold up your hands to be “bio-scanned” for security clearance. Once inside his office, even more of The Collector’s relics are on display and, as in the lobby, the collection contains some hidden references that will delight dedicated Super Hero fans and Disney fans. As I said, be on the lookout!!
Next, Rocket appears, letting us know that he needs their help. Using their security clearances, he can hijack the gantry lift to the top of the fortress, disable the generator, and free his friends.
Once you enter the gantry lift, Rocket overrides The Collector’s recorded tour spiel with music from the tape player of Star-Lord (aka Peter Quill). Soon, the gantry is shooting up into the fortress, then plummeting downward as Rocket attempts to take control of the generator.
It’s here that guests experience one of the attraction’s six different ride profiles, each synchronized to one of the songs on the “awesome mix tape”:
- “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” by Pat Benatar
- “Give Up The Funk” by Parliament
- “Born To Be Wild” by Steppenwolf
- “I Want You Back” by The Jackson 5
- “Free Ride” by The Edgar Winter Group
- “Burning Love” by Elvis Presley
During my ride, we got to listen to “Give Up The Funk” by Parliament. Definitely a nice high energy song for what I was about to experience.
photo credit: Disney
Once you’re seated, buckled, and scanned again, you’re off. If you can keep your eyes open long enough, you will see the rescue playing out on the screen in front of you as you race (drop/rise) up and down the building at high speeds. And, at one point, the doors open and you get to see out over the park. My eyes were open at the right time, because I got an amazing view!
The new ride is just the beginning to all of the fun things in store during Summer of Heroes.
SUPER HERO INSPIRED FOOD
As part of the Summer of Heroes celebration at Disney California Adventure Park, you will find some delicious Super Hero inspired food and beverages at six different locations in the Hollywood Land area of the park. The Spiderman Macarons above are delicious and big enough to share with a friend or two! I just love the bright colors and spot-on designs.
photo credit: Disney
Guardians of the Galaxy fans will find Groot-shaped sourdough and jalapeno-cheddar flavored bread. Isn’t he almost too cute to eat? And be on the lookout for these adorable Groot souvenir cups filled with your favorite soda. I had to grab one. I can’t resist baby Groot.
Photo credit: Disney
That’s not all, you will also find Savory Strength Falafel Pitas, Super Size Subs, Space Outpost Tacos, Gamma-Sized Donut, Bifrosties (shave ice with fun themed flavors), and MORE!
There’s even MORE to experience during the Summer of Heroes….
photo credit: Disney
There are plenty of photo opportunities like the building above. And you can meet your favorite heroes face-to-face. Meet Spider-Man, Captain America, Black Widow, and more.
Summer of Heroes has some amazing experiences for your entire family!
Check out this list provided by Disneyland:
- Guests have a chance to be dazzled by the beloved and iconic “Main Street Electrical Parade,” with an extended run through Aug. 20.
- The spectacular nighttime “Fantasmic!” show re-opens at Disneyland this summer, and the classic Disneyland Railroad and Rivers of America attractions return to delight park guests.
- Also in Disneyland, Star Wars and Disney fans will step into out-of-this-galaxy adventures at Star Wars Launch Bay, meeting some Star Wars characters and getting an up-close look at replica props and models from “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.”
- Across both parks, guests will meet characters familiar and new – from Moana and Chewbacca to the stars of Summer of Heroes, including Groot, Captain America and Spider-Man. Photos with Groot are sure to be a big hit as he makes his first appearance in a Disney park.
- “Disney Junior Dance Party” debuts Friday, May 26, at Disney California Adventure, creating a fun concert experience where adults and kids can sing and dance along to the music. Popular Disney Junior characters from Disney Junior TV shows “Doc McStuffins,” “Sofia the First” and “The Lion Guard” will be joined by characters from the new series “Mickey and the Roadster Racers.”
Don’t forget to check out Cars Land while you’re visiting Disney’s California Adventure Park. There are plenty of rides to check out and they are welcoming Cruz Ramirez, one of the new characters introduced in Cars 3!